Thursday 13 June 2013

Artist research and inspirations

12/11/2012

Alginate casting

I have seen a video that has really inspired me to do a full cast of a hand. This looks an easier way to make a cast. I think it is a great idea and I wish to follow it through, as this will develop my practical skills for university. I'm going to get a big jug put my hand and arm in it and pour alginate around my hand to make a mould of my whole hand. Then I'm going to pour plaster of paris in to it, because I think this gives a great effect.




13/11/2012

I've been looking at more Youtube videos on hand casting, and it has given me even more ideas and inspiration. I would like to use the alginate method for moulding as I think this gives a really good effect. I have mentioned it to Kim and she said she will get the technicians to get me some. I wouldn't mind  using clear resin and other materials to make hands, the clear resin gives the cast a glass look and putting lights under it makes it look really cool but it depends what college can get their hands on and health and safety. I also found a face casting in the same YouTube channel I think I might try that after I have do some experimenting and testing with the alginate.


Video insprations










18/11/2012

Magdalena Abakanowicz

I really like how the artist uses natural looking materials, it appears very earthy and that's one thing I like about her work because it's very rustic and a really effective method. Also she places some sculptures in green scenery and it just looks like it's home, like one with nature, so to speak. They look like mud and roots, which I wouldn't mind trying, as I really like a lot of her work. The aesthetic of her work is influenced by her interest in crowds and the individual. The sculptures also makes you think everyone is made out of the same substance but that they're all individuals.




http://www.abakanowicz.art.pl/about/-about.php









Adam Beane

I like how Adams miniature models are super small but so detailed, he doesn't tend to paint them, but still they look realistic. I love how he is really good at proportioning the face and other body parts into such a small scale. What I also like about his work is that it is done in parts and then put together, a bit like a toy.










Jaume Plensa


I had a look at Jaume's work when I was doing wire hand sculptures, as he has done some fantastic wire sculptures, most are based in the Yorkshire sculpture park. I found out from a book about him and that he does digital mesh drawings to help him sculpt with wire. He also uses metal numbers and letters in his sculptures which makes them stand out even more because the light and the edging on the numbers look more prominent.















Mathilde Roussel

This is another sculptor that caught my eye as they use grass in some of their sculptures. I'm really liking the natural looking sculptures made out of natural surroundings. The grass pieces they do really amaze me and when they start to grow and the grass gets older it looks like it's going through the ages of a persons life.











 





06/12/2012

Jo gave me an idea the other day to produce a mass of hand casts, doing different hand gestures and positions. After that I will take it to the photography department and use a dark room with a spot light on them to create shadows. I think this will make very good imagery of the subject I am doing at the moment. I'm doing this to see about light and shadow on objects and to help my camera skills.

Other artist with similar work

















http://pchsartbeat.weebly.com/uploads/5/9/9/8/5998062/2030934_orig.jpg


My work













13/03/2013


I've started to get ideas for my final piece and I was  thinking of doing a water box/tank with parts of body cast into it. I've been looking up water based sculpture artist  and other water tank related subjects, such as magician tricks, fish tanks and water holders.

One of the first pieces of art that made this idea pop in to my head late at night, while trying to sleep was in the Saatchi gallery magazine, issue 21 spring 2013, page 57. I have tried to look for the artist and do research on them but couldn't find anything at all on the piece, not even pictures. The sculpture is in the middle of a pond and appearing out of the water is a nose and mouth, the water gives the piece more depth as it reflects replica of the art into the water.


Another artist that I have looked at because I want to do some form of sculpture in water was Jason Decaires Taylor. He does under water sculptures that just look amazing and transform as the water weathers the piece, as one bit decays the ocean brings it to life with bacteria and plant life. His work has really inspired me to experiment with my ideas of under water work, I love the decomposing of the pieces and sea life covering them but still giving them their silhouette of a person.

This is some of Jason's amazing work.












17/4/13
Marc Quinn 

 This piece will have similarities to the work I want to create because I want to make sculptures of body parts, hand, feet and hands. I've been looking Marc Quinn's work, as he did a sculpture of his face out of his own blood, which is truly strange but looks fantastic. He keeps this sculpture on a metal fridge with a glass box, so people can see the work and it also slows the decaying time down of the piece. As I looked more into Marc as an artist, I saw that his work views were the same as mine, 'Quinn’s sculpture, paintings and drawings often deal with the distanced relationship we have with our bodies, highlighting how the conflict between the ‘natural’ and ‘cultural’ has a grip on the contemporary psyche.' - This is from his own website which I'll put below. It's amazing as this is what I will be trying to get a cross in my final pieces, how media and ourselves have to much views on beauty and what is the perfect body, so to speak. 

http://www.marcquinn.com/biography/



Marc Quinn's work.








Specimen Jars

I started to look at this type of scientific work because they are body parts in liquid, which links to the work I am aiming for my FMP. I have been looking at specimen jars on-line as I was hoping to put some in my final piece, I couldn't find to much about the orientation of them but did find out some facts. I found out that they used to use methanol or it's other name formaldehyde, this would preserve the skin cells of the human parts. The practise of preserving is centuries old and people also called foetus's in jars 'pickled punks', that name is mainly used by show goers.



One of the most earliest recorded specimens dates back to 1582, this one was from a women called Mme Colombe Chatri who died at age sixty eight and had the twenty eight year old foetus removed from her womb.  The stone-child of Sens as they call it was meant to be born in 1554 but labour came but no delivery, so the foetus stayed in the womb for decades and turned into a bone-like material.


Berlin's Museum für Naturkunde has a Embryological collections housing 3'000 alcohol jars, as well as 80'000 histological environmental stages of vertebrates and their organs. The specimen jars were mainly used for scientific reasons and also freak shows, as they used to put in deformed foetus's and other organs of the human body, they also used this method for animals and insects.



Museum für Naturkunde collection.





 http://www.naturkundemuseum-berlin.de/en/sammlungen/zoologie/embryologische-sammlung/

http://thehumanmarvels.com/96/pickled-punks-%E2%80%93-marvels-under-glass/deformity


12/5/13 
Dr. Hagens Plastination 

On the same note Hagens uses different ways of preserving the body, as I am doing body parts in my work, I thought this would be good research if I wanted to use things with cells, like animal parts. So I looking up information on Dr. Hagens work because he did the Body world exhibitions, although his work is more scientifically based, I think it is art in it's own right. He came up with the idea of a better way of preserving human bodies than what was about and continues to improve his idea. While studying for his medical degree he saw that they covered the body in polymer and wondered why they didn't put the solution in the body instead, preserving it from the inside out. He then went on to try this idea, making it possible and now does anatomy exhibitions all over the world with preserved bodies. The method for doing this is pumping formalin in to the arteries, this kills bacteria and stops the decay of tissue, he then goes on to remove the body of fat and water by placing it into a solvent bath. After this is done the body is put in a vacuum chamber , so that the solvent can be removed from the body and the polymer can replace it, covering every last cell. The body is then put in the desired position by clamps, pins etc. Then comes the hardening process, depending on which polymer you used you would either use gas, light or heat. This process takes 1'500 working hours and usually takes a year to complete.



http://www.bodyworlds.com/en/gunther_von_hagens/life_in_science.html









No comments:

Post a Comment