Tuesday 18 June 2013

Proposal

Coby Flannery
Pathway: 3D design
Personal ID: 32866
Learner Number: 42973

Proposal

Review
I explored several ways of casting and making moulds, which included alginate, plaster, clay, mud rock and wax. I have learnt the limitations of the process throughout this experimental stage, facing issues such as not making the plaster thick enough and getting the alginate stuck in a jug. I have also made one silly error of not putting Vaseline on my moulds once and pouring plaster into it, this mistake I'll never make again. All these casts and making moulds will help me develop onto my final piece, in which I intend to cast different body parts and experiment with ways of encasing them.
Ideas and concept
In casting different parts of the body I am exploring the idea of how we judge our bodies in contemporary society. That is how people see themselves in a very critical world, say that you look in a mirror to long you'll find things wrong and pick yourself to pieces. To develop this further I intent to experiment with the effects of water as a force that visually warp the casts.   So distorting the body parts which relates to how people see themselves these days against the ideals that the mass media bombard us with. With research, experimentation and the diverse potential this project will definitely see me through.

Contextual research
My initial my contextual reference are Marc Quinn whose work explores the ‘distanced relationship we have with our bodies, highlighting how the conflict between the ‘natural’ and ‘cultural’ has a grip on the contemporary psyche.' Similar issues to what I intend to explore. Another artist that I have looked at because I want to do some form of sculpture in water was Jason Decaires Taylor. He does under water sculptures that transform as the water weathers the piece, as one bit decays the ocean brings it to life with bacteria and plant life. His work has really inspired me to experiment with my ideas of underwater work, I love the decomposing of the pieces and sea life covering them but still giving them their silhouette of a person.

Techniques and presentation
I have explored lots of different casting methods and decided to use mainly alginate for my project this time, as it is the most effective for what I want to achieve.  Most of the material I'll be using, college will already have, such as plaster, alginate and mud-rock. If the college doesn't have certain things I will go out and find them, like tanks or jars. A cafe is giving me jars for free as it saves them putting them in the recycling, when I can recycle these in my art. I want to present my final piece well lit within a gallery surrounding.

Evaluation and progression
I have been writing a blog to evaluate my ideas, work and research throughout the course. Also the practical process will define my outcomes so this will also be an important part of my evaluation. Finally I will discuss my ideas with my tutors and peers and get feedback as to my progress and potential development.

No comments:

Post a Comment